From the Field
Greg du Toit
Africa Photo Workshop
Masai Mara Signature Predator Safari
Our Masai Mara Predator Safari is especially timed for when the predators are hungry and the tourist traffic levels are much lower than during the migration season. This safari offers you the opportunity to experience and photograph the wildlife mecca of Africa in freedom, style and exclusivity. Predators on offer include cheetah, lion, leopard, jackal, bat-eared foxes, caracal, serval, hyena and crocodile (plus many smaller creatures like mongooses). With the migration having left, the predators are now hungry. Cubs and pups are growing up and are full of playful antics while the adults are needing to provide food and are going on hunting forays, which we will follow and photograph. Other iconic African mammals such as zebra, giraffe, elephant, buffalo, hippopotamus, warthog, gazelles, eland, kongoni, dikdik (to name but a few) are in prolific abundance, more so than anywhere else in Africa, making this a true 'Lion King' experience not to be missed...
This is a 8 day Masai Mara Predator Safari itinerary, with space for only 3 people. You have an option to extend your safari by booking any combination of 6 very exciting extensions, which target wild dogs, elephants and rhino (plus reticulated giraffe, grevy's zebra and gerenuk). You also have an option to extend your safari by a further 4 nights to go gorilla trekking in Rwanda or chimp trekking in Tanzania. You can do a combination of any of these 6 extensions to make this the ultimate East Africa safari and one of the finest on offer anywhere in Africa.
2019 Tour Dates:
8 - 15 Jan FULLY BOOKED!
27 Nov - 4 Dec Space for only 3 photographers.
2019 tour price: $13 630 per photographer.There is no single supplement charge. Includes all accommodation; meals; laundry; drinks (excluding premium brands and selected wines); park fees; internal flights; meet and greet service with transfers; an additional luggage allowance of 72 Lb/33kg per person; private safari drives with exclusive vehicle use (open sided vehicles for better photography); photographic tuition and the guiding services of professional African wildlife photographer Greg du Toit.
Not included in the cost are visas; purchases of a personal nature; staff gratuities; personal travel and medical insurance; your international flights and adhoc activities not included on the itinerary.
Please note that the above costs are based on a participation of 3 people. To book your space on this Masai Mara Predator Safari a deposit of 40% is required. Payment of the balance of the safari fee is due 4 months before departure. All details on the booking form which you will receive upon enquiring.
Why this is the safari for you...
- This is not a big group safari where professional photographic hosts have to move between safari trucks. On this safari there is only one car and the same professional photographer will host and guide you for every safari drive.
- With only three people on this safari you will receive help, guidance and advice on camera settings as well as in-camera reviews whilst on safari drive. This safari is all about being out there, photographing and getting awesome images.
- Visit the famed Masai Mara where you will be staying in two strategically located safari camps: The 1st camp is in the heart of the reserve and also in the heart of numerous overlapping predator territories. The 2nd camp is in a private concession allowing you to photograph the predators of the Masai Mara with off-road driving.
- This safari is different to almost any other itinerary in that we use two different camps. This is very important because predators are territorial and therefore by using two different camps, our exposure to predators doubles.
- Another reason why this safari is different to any other is that there are only three participants total on the trip. This means that for every single drive you will benefit from having a professional wildlife photographer on board.
- This safari is timed to coincide with the time of year when the migration has left. Not only are the tourist hordes also gone but the predators are super hungry and active.
- The dry season is always traditionally the best time for photography. Timing is everything in Africa and this safari is timed to coincide with a peak in predator action. Young cubs and pups are growing up and are full of playful antics, while the adults are needing to hunt.
- Predators on offer include cheetah, lion, leopard, jackal, bat-eared foxes, caracal, serval, hyena and crocodile (plus many smaller creatures like mongooses).
- The amount of general plains game like zebra, giraffe, gazelles, elephant, buffalo, hippo, warthog, jackal, eland, dikdik, kongoni (the list goes on and on) are in such abundance on this safari that you will experience and photograph the absolute wildlife mecca of Africa.
- Because the wildlife sightings are so abundant and varied on this trip, we could not expect you to leave any lenses behind. For this reason, we have booked an extra luggage seat so that you can carry 33kg/72LB per person on this safari.
- The location of our camps allow us to access parts of the reserve where mini-bus vans are absent and where you can experience the Mara in privacy and seclusion.
- Enjoy splendid views of the magnificent Mount Kilimanjaro, as you explore a private concession in the famous Amboseli National Park (offered as an extension to this safari).
- Track Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda (also offered as an extension to this safari). You will go to the same gorillas and areas that Diane Fossey did in her famed Gorillas in the Mist. Rwanda is just a one hour flight from Nairobi.
- Photograph wild dogs on the highland plateau of Laikipia (also offered as an extension to this safari). This is arguably the best place in all of Africa for wild dogs and this time of year they could be denning.
- Not many people know this but Kenya is the best place in all of Africa for rhino photography and we now offer a Rhinos of Mount Kenya extension which is an absolute photographers dream.
- Photograph different species on the Laikipia extension like Reticulated Giraffe, Grevy's Zebra (the largest species of zebra) and Gerenuk - the famed 'giraffe antelope'.
- The two safari camps we use have both been chosen for their excellent locations and allow for the best photographic opportunities both inside the Masai Mara Game Reserve and in the private concessions adjacent. Each camp also offers total comfort in large Bedouin style walk-in tents with large beds, flush loos, hot water and excellent cuisine. But, each keeps you close to nature through the skillful use of canvas ensuring a first class safari experience and not a touristy lodge experience.
- With exclusive use of a vehicle and only three photographers you can shoot out the left and the right, you will enjoy maximum photographic freedom.
- The vehicles we use are all open so you are not shooting from the top down and you can track predator action more easily. We make use of excellent local guides who are experienced in both driving and catering for photographers' needs.
- You will be personally hosted and guided by professional African wildlife photographer Greg du Toit who has worked in the Masai Mara for 15 consecutive years now. He has also lived in Kenya and worked on assignment in the Masai Mara for the National Geographic Channel. More importantly, he knows where to find the predators. With Greg as your guide, the chances of seeing a kill are very good.
- This safari offers you freedom, exclusivity and personalized photographic tuition that normal scheduled tours cannot. With only three people on the safari your photography will be unhindered, more creative and will yield better results.
- This Africa photo safari is tailor-made to suite wildlife photographers and it guarantees you a portfolio of exceptional imagery.
- Photographers of all levels are welcome and you will receive expert tuition based on your level of experience.
This Masai Mara Predator Safari is timed to coincide with the end of the dry season, a time when the predators are the most active and hungry. This safari also offers an absolute smorgasbord of general plains game. With wild freedom and expansive scenery this safari takes you to the Africa that you have seen on documentaries, an Africa teaming with wild animals, open plains and predators lurking around every corner.
Day 1- Overnight outskirts of Nairobi
After being met at the international airport in Nairobi, you will be transferred to our very own exclusive guest house where a large room, big beds and a hot shower or bath awaits. There is wifi for you to let your loved ones know that you have arrived safely. For those arriving early to recover from jet lag we can arrange visits to the giraffe centre, Karen Blixen museum, the elephant orphanage or a photography shoot in Nairobi National Park. Our guest house lies geographically in-between all of these locations meaning that you never need to travel through the city to get anywhere. This beautiful location is the perfect place to unwind after your journey. Sundowners, a hearty dinner and a pre-trip brief will see you turn in all excited for your Masai Mara leg the following day. After a good night's rest and a scrumptious breakfast, you will depart at 7am for the local airport called Wilson.
Day 2, 3, 4 - Masai Mara Game ReserveAfter a short 40 minute flight on a scheduled charter you will land on an airstrip in the heart of the Masai Mara Game Reserve. For this flight we have included in the cost of this safari an additional luggage allowance. You will therefore each have 72Lb/33kg so you can bring all the equipment you need. For more on what equipment to bring, see my Safari FAQ page. From the airstrip, you will enjoy a safari drive
of approximately 30 minutes to our base camp for the next three nights - Naibor Camp.Arriving at Naibor Camp in time for lunch, you will be escorted to your large Bedouin style safari tent nestled inside the forest. The camp is a rustic wilderness camp, situated deep inside the riverine forest where the birdlife is prolific. Naibor Camp is one of the finest mobile safari camp's in Kenya offering you a safari experience of yesteryear. You will enjoy hot bucket showers, flush loos, a large bed and scrumptious food as the camp remains a true Kenyan safari experience. To see what the accommodation and experience is like, you can visit their website here... and watch a YouTube video here...
You will spend 3 nights at Naibor which is located in the middle of the Masai Mara Game Reserve and is also in the middle of numerous predator territories. During the days you will explore the incredible great plains and by basing ourselves in the heart of the reserve, we have no gate times to contend with and we are surrounded by 360 degrees of the best photographic opportunities in Africa. We are able to access the entire reserve quickly and we are also able to access the remoter parts of the reserve too, thereby getting away from the other vehicle traffic. With our own vehicle we have maximum freedom and we will seek out unique and thrilling photographic opportunities. Taking packed breakfasts with us so that we can follow predators hunting without needing to rush back to camp, you will indulge in the finest of predator photography. You will photograph the widest array of predator sightings on offer anywhere in Africa. Where else in Africa can you potentially photograph lion, cheetah, leopard, caracal, serval, hyena, foxes and jackals? The Masai Mara is the photography mecca of Africa and as such you will feel like you have stepped into a wildlife documentary. I know the Masai Mara intimately and I will take you to the heart of the action and to the seldom seen far-flung beautiful corners of the reserve, where you will enjoy a fine wilderness experience and be blown away by the beauty of Africa's great plains. I know where the predators' territories are and I will ensure that you see the best wildlife on offer anywhere in Africa.